Saturday, October 17, 2009on
Law Abiding Citizen, the critically ravaged prison drama starringJamie Foxx and Gerard Butler, found a surprisingly great $7.7 million on Friday. I predicted it to earn just $9.5 million, so this is definitely a break out hit. It could be headed to a $20 million weekend.
Paranormal Activity grossed a very good $6.7 million out of 760 theaters on Friday, so it should finish the weekend with an unbelievable $17 million.
Couples Retreat fell 50% from last Friday to $5.8 million, but it should recover over the rest of the weekend and finish with about $19 million.
The Stepfather also exceeded my expectations, finding $4.3 million on Friday, which is far from spectacular, but pretty good when you consider the poor reviews, the weak advertising, and the lack of proven star power. It might grab $10.5 million over the weekend frame.
It should also be said that the box office is exhibiting a tremendous amount of depth this weekend, as five films are headed to $10+ million weekends! This abundance of ticket sales and great business is kind of random, considering this weekend really only had one high profile release, but hey, in this recession, every economic win is a reason to rejoice!
Box Office Estimates For October 16, 2009
1. Where The Wild Things Are - $11.9 million
2. Law Abiding Citizen - $7.7 million
3. Paranormal Activity - $6.7 million
4. Couples Retreat - $5.8 million
5. The Stepfather - $4.3 million
6. Zombieland - $2.4 million
7. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - $2.1 million
8. Toy Story / Toy Story 2 (3D) - $825,000
9. The Invention Of Lying - $605,000
10. Surrogates - $585,000